Saturday, June 02, 2012

Aluminum and Alzheimer's

A long time ago, my mom drank diet sodas. Every day, two or three cans a day. When I was a nutrition student, we learned about a relationship between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. Thankfully my mom gave up the diet soda years ago. But because of this potential relationship between aluminum and Alzheimer's, I do not use antiperspirants (which generally contain aluminum chlorohydrate) nor do I cook with aluminum cookware.

No one really has to prove to me that there is a direct relationship, it's enough to think that there could be. Just to be on the safe side, it is really no trouble to avoid aluminum despite the controversy. So, I really limit the amount of sodas from a can that I drink (I avoid sugar, anyway) and I just cook with cast iron or stainless steel.

No comments: